I've just had the pleasure of reading 'Introduction to Pictorial Maps' by Matthias Mayenschein. If pictorial maps are of interest to you or a passion as they are for me then you must grab a copy of this work. I've put a link at the bottom of this article.
The book is a fascinating read. Presenting various maps and mapmakers all in chronological order from Claudius Ptolemy's "Geographia" up to the period of the 1960's then exploring the monumental and pictographic maps. The most striking maps are presented along with good historic background information. Many maps are illustrated, needless to say I can only give you a taste here. Hopefully this will be enough to stimulate your interest and you an go get a copy for yourself and yes the book is currently available FREE!
The subjects covered and some examples:
1) Pictorial Maps - What are they?
2) The history of pictorial maps, early beginnings with description of the most striking examples
3) Examples of pictorial maps in the 19th century
4) The history of pictorial maps, 19th and 20th century, in chronological order, with a description of the most striking examples
5) Examples of a Paris pictorial / pictographic map
6) Satire & Caricature Maps in the first half of the 20th Century
7) The history of pictorial maps from 1914 to 1945, exploring the influential work of MacDonald Gill with descriptions of the most striking examples.
8) The history of pictorial maps from 1945 to 1960's, exploring monumental & pictographic maps with description of the most striking examples
LEARN ABOUT MAPS
Where to Start?
Whats on the Paper?
Rectum & Recto
Why Changing Faces?
What is Ornamentation?
Why all those lines?
The Embellishment Story
Illogical Prices Explained
A Reference Library
CLICK THE BOOK
Get the FREE Guide!
Strip Road Maps
On the River of Life
The Sea Monsters
Buy with Confidence. . .
More Top Tips for the Novice. Click the book to find out more . . .
Views of River Thames
Views of London
Shipping & Craft
Meet the Fairies
Historic Views of Rome